title="Groby Parish Council in Leicestershire">

Council Offices
Village Hall, Leicester Road
Leicester LE6 0DQ
0116 287 6985

A-Z of Services  »  Fly Tipping

Services provided in the local area by the Parish Council and other organisations are listed below. Click below to show all services filed under that letter.


«  Go back to previous page...

Fly Tipping


Dumping waste where it's not allowed, or allowing others to do so, is a criminal offence. You could face very large fines and  even be sent to prison.

What is fly-tipping?

Report fly-tipping to your local council

Fly-tipping is the illegal dumping of waste on land that doesn’t have a licence to receive it.

Fly-tipping can be dangerous, pollute land and waterways and costs the taxpayer significant amounts of money to clear away. Some people make money by charging to take waste away illegally and then fly-tipping it.

Who is responsible for clearing up fly-tipped waste?

Local authorities and the Environment Agency are responsible for clearing up / investigating fly-tipping on public land. Clearing fly-tipping from private land is the responsibility of the landowner.

Penalties for fly-tipping

Dumping waste illegally is a serious criminal offence that carries a fine of up to £50,000 (unlimited if the case goes to the Crown Court). You could also face a prison sentence of up to five years for fly-tipping. Local councils treat fly-tipping very seriously and will usually prosecute anyone caught.

You could also face the same penalties if:

You could face penalties of up to £5,000 if you don’t check that the company or person you give waste to:

To find out how to check the company or person taking your waste, see the ‘How to make sure you don’t fly-tip’ section.

If you find fly-tipped waste

If you discover fly-tipped waste, there are some do's and don'ts:



If you see someone fly-tipping, make a note of:

Be very careful. Remember that fly-tippers are doing something illegal – they are unlikely to welcome people observing them or taking notes or photographs.

Report fly-tipping

You should contact your local council to report fly-tipping. Provide as much detail as possible. The link above will take you to your local council website where you can find out more.

Alternatively, you can contact the Environment Agency on 0800 80 70 60. The Environment Agency deals with fly-tipping incidents if they involve:

For further information click here 

Page last updated: 21 August, 2013